Wednesday 7 September 2016

So what is the deal with PDD?

So PDD for those that don't know stands for Post Disney Depression. 

Now people can experience a slight taste of this when they return home from their holidays after visiting a Disney park. However, nothing can compare or even come close to when you return home after a whole year being away in the magical place that is often referred to as the Happiest place on Earth.




I found the above photo when I searched the internet for PDD and it made me smile. As it's true you really do miss even the smallest of things that Disney has that isn't just the characters or the rides, yes believe it or not this can even include the bathrooms (or restrooms, or toilets depending on where you are from). Now of course I'm not saying I miss toilets, as that's just plain weird, I'm using this as an example as it just showcases how Disney pays attention to such detail. Even the most mundane and often seemingly dull parts of a normal day can become a little bit more magical thanks to Disney. It is this that I miss, living in a magical world so far removed from reality that you can immerse yourself and leave all your cares and worries behind and release your inner child and just have fun. I always knew saying goodbye to Disney would be the hardest it is a place that holds so many fond memories for me and is one of the reasons I was so keen to have the opportunity to become part of the magic in the first place. 

Whilst I miss Disney, although it may sound odd, I don't necessarily miss the job per sé, and by this I'm referring to the raw root of it, being a merchandise hostess. I had reached a point with it where I had become comfortable within the role as I knew what I was doing and I feel I had taken everything I could possibly learn away from the job. I was ready for a new challenge.

However, although I don't miss the role itself, I do miss working for Disney and the surrounding aspects of the job role. Working for Disney was such an honour. Never before have I had the opportunity to work for an organisation that's main focus is to make other people happy and go above and beyond for a guest (I find it hard to say Customer now as Disney language has become my own now so excuse this!). I got to be a part of creating magic for guests and even if at times I didn't feel I was doing anything extraordinary guests had a wonderful way to let you know how you had helped make their vacation a special one as exampled below. 



The best thing for me is when you had a guest come up to you and say "I remember you, I just want to say thank you..." I particularly remember this one guest who I apparently helped back in September of last year and she returned around April time, (which was a particularly rough time for me then) and said "I'm not sure if you remember me but I just want to say thank you for last time when you offered a kind hand to my Dad who was suffering with Parkinson's, you let him take shelter in your store away from the heat and a step to rest on whilst engaging in a lovely conversation with him. You never forget a kind gesture like that." I remember having to take a few moments to head backstage (by this I mean the stockroom/away from view of guests) to have a little cry. As little did I know back then what a difference I had made to that person's day, but for her to remember me too and to make sure to come find me was all very overwhelming. It struck a personal chord to with me as my own Papa back home equally suffers with Parkinson's and I know all too well what that is like to cope with on a day to day basis. This lovely lady reminded me why I was there and helped me to regain my focus and made me realise even if some days I didn't feel I was being particularly magical, sometimes just being kind and being yourself is enough. 

Furthermore, I miss the people. The people you work with are just second to none. The leaders out there, the coordinators and just generally every cast member you meet. Obviously on a personal level I miss those that I would work with on more of a daily basis, whilst we didn't always see eye to eye on things, overall we all shared the same goal of being a part of the Disney magic and sharing this with others to enjoy. I could spend hours listening to people's stories about Disney, why they chose to work there, where they have worked previously and the stories they have from this. Everyone's journey is unique and special and it was fun to discover them.


One aspect of PDD which makes it hard to cope with is social media, I of course have friends who I know are still out there living the dream and seeing their updates can be hard to see at times particularly on those days when you're feeling sad and wish you were there with them joining in on the fun. But whenever I feel sad like this I try to turn this around and instead be reminded how lucky I was that, that too was my life for a bit. I had that opportunity whereas some have not.  Although it is hard as I might see something someone did that I didn't get round to doing or wish I had done but this is just reason to head back. I try to think well thank goodness I didn't do absolutely everything as it gives me even more reason to head back and do all those things. I did all I wanted and could do with the time I had and circumstances I found myself in. It can be hard at times to think this way but I know I must in order to move on and get through PDD.

Fortunately though, I am blessed to still be in contact with friends I made out there, some who are still over in Disney and others who are now back home in the UK and countries such as France, Canada, Germany, the US and Mexico too! This program is great that you get to meet people from all over the place as it now means we can have new adventures when visiting one another in our 'home lands' how exciting?!

So PDD is an ongoing thing which I am slowly learning to deal with but it's great that I know I can always message one of my Disney friends who no doubt knows exactly what I am going through and feeling and can offer advice and support. 

And as Ellie from UP once said, I thank Disney for the adventure and now it's time for me to have a new one :).




No comments:

Post a Comment